Building and managing larger websites is a mammoth task that would hardly be feasible without the aid of a CMS. Although, there are dozens of great commercial CMS for publishers out there and regardless of what type of site you’re building, there’s probably one perfectly-suited to it.
No matter the size or type of your business, a CMS has become almost indispensable. It operates on the backend of your website, allowing you to manage the content and other facets of your website, including the visual layout.
It’s harder than ever to choose the right CMS, what may not be a perfect CMS as a whole, maybe perfect for your requirements. Most designers and developers don’t want to spend time learning a bunch of different commercial CMSs, they need something that’s both flexible and powerful.
Why Companies Choose Commercial CMS Over Open Source CMS?
The first step to choosing a CMS is deciding if you want to use an open-source system or a commercial CMS. A decade ago just about every software developer that did web design created their own CMS. Most of these have disappeared over the years as the open source solutions have improved.
Yet there are a few issues with open source CMS that cannot go unnoticed and hence small and large enterprises prefer commercial CMS and are ready to invest in them.
Hurdles While Using An Open Source CMS
- Building a website on an open source solution is not free, but basic template sites are very cheap.
- While there are thousands of developers in the open source community enhancing the software, none of them are working on your website. Unless you have a support agreement with your developer, your website will remain on the version it was installed on, complete with any bugs and security issues.
- While you have access to the source code, the design may not be yours. Template websites, in particular, have this problem, and you often cannot move the design to another host and definitely not to another platform
- In theory, you can move your website to another developer if unhappy but in reality, this can be difficult due to design ownership, customizations and modules.
- Pick the wrong software and in 2-3 years time, you might find the community have moved on and development has stalled.
Advantages Of Using A Commercial CMS for publishers
- Web hosting, site maintenance, support and automatic upgrades come included. The hidden costs and hassle of using a “free” open source CMS are actually included in the price of a commercial CMS.
- Website functionalities come standard. Commercial CMS don’t use third-party plugins. Instead, functionalities come built into the core of the software.
- Consistent, integrated user interface. Due to the fact that the commercial CMS software is designed by a unified team of developers, there is a high level of consistency in the user interface from one module to another. And because everything is developed under one roof, these functionalities are designed to integrate with one another.
- Security. The company developing the CMS software has greater control over the security of your website’s coding, allowing them to ensure that there are no viruses unintentionally embedded into your site.
- Specially-trained support team. A commercial CMS is a business, which means it has trained employees ready to assist you. Instead of scouring forums for answers to questions, commercial CMS users can talk one-on-one with a designated support representative who has access to the backend of your site.
So Here is a list of the Top 10 Commercial CMS for Publishers!
CraftCMS is one of the most powerful commercial CMS available today. Craft is a content-first CMS that aims to make life enjoyable for developers and content managers alike.
- You can see how your content will look before it goes live with Live Preview. You can even share your work with others by clicking on the Share button.
- Keeping Craft up-to-date with the latest features, bug fixes, and security enhancements are easy with Craft’s magical one-click updating.
- Each user gets their own fully customizable dashboard, tailored to their needs. There are Feed (RSS), Quick Post, Recent Entries, Updates, and Get Help widgets available right out of the box, and plugins are free to add more.
- The entire CMS is built to cater to your content – no matter how varied or unusual it may be. You can choose from an assortment of custom fields to build the admin interface of your dream
Top Clients: Netflix, Salesforce, Oakley, Emily carr
Pricing: Starts at $199 per site
Known For: Content Priority
Content Priority On WordPress:
If content is king, then WordPress is the kingdom. There are tons of commercial CMS options out there, but WordPress has earned its reputation as the easiest open source CMS to operate. WordPress started out as a blogging platform and now it’s competing to be the best CMS out there. So there isn’t a better CMS that prioritizes content like WordPress.
Adding content frequently is a sign of credibility. And with WordPress, you can update your own website on a whim and add content very easily, either by logging into the site’s dashboard or by sending it to your site via email.
ExpressionEngine is an interesting hybrid of commercial and open-source software. There are a ton of great websites built on ExpressionEngine that include A|X Life, the Canon Ixus site, and LivingSocial Adventures. And they’ve set up a showcase site, Show-EE, specifically to share some of these examples.
- The plugins and add-ons they have are some of the most likely to be used and include a wiki, discussion forum, member manager, mailing list, e-commerce, statistics, and more.
- EE can manage Text, dates, links, images, tables, files, an event calendar, a newsroom, or a staff director.
- EE lets you write an article, post an event, or add a staff member or new product without being stuck to a “page”. It allows you to deliver content to web pages, a mobile app, a syndication service, wherever, without repeating yourself, unlike page-centric CMSes
- They take software security seriously at ExpressionEngine. For over ten years they’ve maintained a stellar record of quick patches and highly secure software.They regularly work with security researchers to continually improve and harden EE’s security.
Top Clients: RedCarrot, BeerQuest
Pricing: Starts at $299
Known For: Software Security
Software Security In WordPress:
WordPress has great prowess in diagnosing and fixing security vulnerabilities. Anecdotal and empirical evidence demonstrates that the WordPress core is secure and the WordPress team is unparalleled in its reaction to emerging exploits, which means that the weak link is us — the end user. If you want WordPress to be secure you must ultimately focus on your actions.
WordPress can be as secure as any other CMS out there, but it is ultimately up to you to determine your site’s own security. Here are 12 ways to secure a WordPress Site!
Sitecore is one of the leading commercial CMS built on Microsoft.NET 3.5. Users can store content as .NET objects or in XML format. For database storage, it can work with either Oracle Database or Microsoft SQL Server. It consists of a user-friendly WYSIWYG editor, and its interface is similar to Windows, which makes it easier to work with.
- It offers full tracking and reporting on users’ behavior.
- Delivers targeted, relevant content to unique visitors, visitor types, or personas by allowing you to set personalization rules that test details about visitors during their visit. Text, rich media, forms, social media widgets, promotions, recommendations, and more can be personalized based on rules, workflows, or a visitor’s device or location.
- A write-once, distribute-across-any-channel approach to web content makes it easy for your content to look good wherever it’s consumed. Sitecore automatically serves content in the format best sized and suited for a user’s device.
- Their device detection module lets you automatically detect and optimize content for different devices, allowing you to preview how your content will look on an iPhone vs. a Surface tablet. And the geo IP detection package lets you personalize based on physical location.
Top Clients: Barfoot & Thompson, Goodman, Brooklyn Law School
Pricing: Get A Quote Now
Known For: Content Optimization
Content Optimization On WordPress:
Content optimization is made simpler by the WordPress SEO plugin by Yoast. In a recent update, new enhancements that make analysis more visual make this plugin a time saver. WordPress SEO guides you on where to focus in order to best optimize each page of your website. By selecting one keyword on which to base your writing, you create better, more relevant content for your reader while helping the search engines do their jobs.
Built on ASP.NET, Kentico is yet another CMS that offers multiple licensing options. A huge reason for its popularity is its flexibility. Apart from developing CMS, enterprises can use Kentico for developing websites, intranets, and online stores. It is already powering more than 16,000 websites across 90 countries.
- As a content editor, you can create content in the Kentico Administration Interface and store it in the Kentico database using Kentico API. The developer codes the website and determines the layout separately from the content creation and then uses the content already stored in the Kentico database to populate the MVC application (live site).
- To avoid concurrent editing and overwriting of someone else’s changes, Kentico comes with content locking support. It allows your editors to check out content before editing so that it is not available for editing by other users until it is checked back in.
- You can create your own pages with custom fields. Structured documents allow you to separate content (data) and design. It also enables content reuse on other site sections or on other websites in a different design.
- Kentico allows you to manage websites in any number of languages easily, including Chinese, Russian, Spanish, Hebrew, Arabic, or Eastern European languages.
Top Clients: Roland, Canadian Red Cross, UNICEF Australia, Hyundai Germany
Pricing: Starts from $4499!
Known For: Multilingual CMS
Languages in WordPress:
WordPress recently announced that its next major release, WordPress 4.7, will include an option to set a language for the dashboard. WordPress has had plugins that could translate the website on the front end for the website visitors into many local languages. To enable the backend local language previously required files to be edited and code to be changed. Now it’s as simple as a flip of a switch.
WordPress sites receive 22.17 billion monthly page views. That’s three times as many as there are people on the planet! So translating WordPress definitely takes away the dependence on the English Language and encourages many across the world to show interest in WordPress now. The global WordPress translation day was on the 12th of November 2016. This was an effort by the WordPress community in collaborating towards translating WordPress into many native languages. Read about WordPress Translation Day And Its Impact On India Here!
Click here to know The Best 10 WordPress Translation Plugins for Going Multilingual!
CushyCMS is one of the fastest commercial content management systems that aims to make life easier for web designers by simplifying content management. You design the website however you want, and then add it to the CushyCMS account. From there you can define which parts are editable and give your clients access.
- Incredibly easy for content managers to edit their content.
- Add unlimited sites and Use your own logo, color scheme and domain
- Customize content, styles and icons within the WYSIWYG and Custom classes per editor, and custom welcome emails
- The free plan is suitable for many users and is very easy and quick to get started.
Top Clients: WebAdore, 9GDesign, DayDream Designs, KTF Design
Known For: Ease Of Use
Pricing: $28 per month
Siteleaf is a smart, lightweight platform for creating and maintaining websites. They believe that content management shouldn’t be hard. Siteleaf is a surprisingly powerful CMS considering its lightweight UI and ease-of-use. It’s a flexible CMS that can work for any type of content.
- Invite your client or team to create and edit content. Set them as Admin, Publisher, or Writer.
- Preview changes before they go live. Then publish with one click whenever you’re ready.
- Choose between a visual editor or just plain Markdown. Drag and drop images or even entire text files.
- Customize your site with document collections, advanced metadata, and custom permalinks.
Top Clients: The Creative Independent, Shopping Mates, NODAY, FiftyThree Press
Known For: Lightweight and ease of Use
Pricing: Starts at $7/month
Progress Sitefinity is one of the top commercial CMS and marketing analytics platform designed to maximize the agility needed to succeed in today’s rapidly changing digital marketplace. It provides developers and IT teams the tools they need to support enterprise-level digital marketing.
- The Inline Editing feature allows you to create and edit content right on the page. By enabling Edit Mode, you can change headers, body content, and replace images all within the context of the web page. Users can even change metadata like keyword tags, image alt tags, and publication dates.
- The page editor makes it easy to create rich, dynamic content by interacting with user-friendly interfaces.
- Sitefinity provides a rich toolset for automatically connecting visitors with personalized content. These content personalizations can be incredibly rich and are easily tested by impersonating each defined audience.
- Sitefinity creates SEO-friendly URLs for each and every page. If pages are later moved or renamed, Sitefinity configures an HTTP 301 Permanent Redirect to notify Google and other search engines.
Top Clients: A little bird told me, TATA Global Beverages, Redpack, Hello Bank
Pricing: Request A Quote Here
Known For: Ease of Use
How easy is WordPress to Setup, Manage, and Update:
WordPress is very easy to use and has an intuitive interface. Adding new pages, blog posts, images, etc. on a regular basis is a breeze and can be done quickly. Because the technology is so simple, time spent on formatting is greatly reduced.
You don’t need to be an Internet expert or an HTML coder to use WordPress. All you need is an internet connection and a web browser to create your website.
WordPress offers thousands of ready-made web design themes that are plug and play – you just choose your theme and off you go. However, you’re not stuck with just the themes they offer – if you find a particular theme that you really like but just want to make one or two tweaks, you absolutely can. You can usually modify any theme to suit your particular needs, including changing the color scheme or the header image.
WordPress also offers tons of plugins that not only make your blog run smoothly, they also help make your blog custom and unique.
The best WordPress Page builders enable you to build professional and stylish websites without writing much code. Drag and drop page builders, as the name implies, enable you to create web pages by using a drag & drop interface. These web page builders for WordPress are available in the form of extensions (plugins) and thus, can be used with any WordPress theme. These plugins are practically supported by every WP theme.
No matter what type of blog you’re hosting – be it a personal or business blog – there are a variety of different options that you can choose from to make your website unique. With WordPress, it’s simple to create and use a blog or static website for yourself or your business. The options available with the WordPress blogging platform far outweigh those available through other blogging platforms, meaning you can truly create the website or blog that works for you.
EPiServer is a robust CMS that has been built on Microsoft .NET technologies. Its focus lies in simplicity and efficiency. With features like user management and access control levels, it makes page level content management extremely easy. It has a simple WYSIWYG interface that allows users with limited technical knowledge to handle it efficiently.
- A notable function of EPiServer is the creation of visitor groups. By grouping content, you can target specific visitors.
- Episerver boosts your team’s operational efficiency through an advanced authoring interface. Designed to be easy to use, the interface enables you to quickly manage the content layout.
- Episerver’s built-in A/B testing feature quickly guides you through the testing process, so that the most effective messaging is presented to website visitors.
- Episerver collects and aggregates personal and behavioral data to help you build a clearer picture of your customers, and then engage them with the optimal individual experience.
Top Clients: PizzaHut, DOLBY, YAMAHA, Mudpie
Pricing: Request a demo and a quote
Known For: Grouping Content and Visitor Groups
Content Grouping In WordPress:
Google Analytics and WordPress get along like best friends – you can get deep insights into your blog’s audience and the content that they are engaging with, giving you rich feedback about what content you should be writing next. But with a little bit of effort, you can customize the content reports for even richer insights.
Content Grouping allows you to have a brilliantly clean report that shows you the performance of your content by post category and even tags. Read more on How to setup Content Grouping in Google Analytics for your WordPress site.
Magnolia is a digital business platform with a CMS at its core. It’s more than just a content management system, even though it’s also one of the best in the world. Companies like Airbus Group, Sony, Avis Budget and Virgin America use Magnolia as the central hub for their web, mobile and IoT initiatives.
- Magnolia’s unique open suite approach allows organizations to go to market fast, integrate easily with third-party systems and adapt quickly to changing business priorities.
- Configure time-based backups and define if version information should be exported as well. Backups can also be achieved by using the CRX content repository.
- Magnolia includes a backup facility which allows you to restore revisions of content. The backup feature is a helpful tool for migrations from one Magnolia instance to another and allows you to easily switch repositories or databases without losing any content.
- Magnolia and its touch-driven interface put content management at your fingertips. Create, edit and publish content from your tablet, wherever you are.
Pricing: Get in touch with them to know more!
Known For: Backup Facility
Backup With WordPress:
Backups give you a peace of mind and can save you in catastrophic situations when your site gets hacked or you accidentally lock yourself out. There are several free and paid backup plugins for WordPress, and most of them are fairly easy to use.
Such plugins allow you to store a copy of your WordPress website on a separate hard drive, or any reliable storage device upon your choice. Most backup plugins allow you to choose what and where to store. It’s recommended to make backups on regular terms. Saving your content every day would be perfect, so if something goes wrong, you have not the old but the latest version of your site.
Here is a List of the 7 Best WordPress Backup Plugins!
Adobe Experience Manager is well known in the list of commercial CMS for building websites, mobile apps, and forms. And it makes it easy to manage your marketing content and assets. Deliver and manage experiences that are responsive, relevant, and social and place the customer at the center of every interaction with Adobe.
- Increase efficiency, Build, share, and deliver content from the same place, speeding up the time to market and reducing duplicated efforts.
- Deliver with agility, Quickly deliver personalized experiences across different screens, geos, and channels — from one unified interface.
- Promote consistency, Use a library of content that can be easily reused business-wide, keeping a steady look and tone across all channels, campaigns, and assets.
Pricing: Request a Demo
Why WordPress Is Still Our Hero
WordPress is currently the most popular Blogging Platform and has evolved, over the years, to become a trusted Content Management System (CMS). Today WordPress CMS powers 26.7% of all the Websites in the world and is by far the most used CMS with a 59.4% Market Share.
WordPress CMS combines simplicity for users and publishers with under-the-hood complexity for developers. This makes it flexible while still being easy-to-use.That is the beauty of WordPress, not only is the price free but the added advantage of having complete control over it.
The most skeptical factor about using commercial CMS are that Companies and software solutions come and go. You must have confidence in the company offering the solution and that they will both be around and able to continually invest in the product.
WordPress, on the other hand, has evolved to become a CMS and earned its reputation as the easiest open source CMS on the web today.
Pick the wrong commercial CMS and in 2-3 years time, you might find the community have moved on and development has stalled. That’s exactly why we recommend using WordPress which is unlikely to lose favor anytime soon.
WordPress CMS comes packed full of features for every user, for every other feature, there’s a plugin directory with thousands of plugins.There are 44,000+ WordPress plugins which are downloaded more than 1.2 billion times and this is not a feature you find in commercial CMS.
Where commercial CMS have earned their trust with some companies and enterprises, WordPress still manages to be our hero. Read our blog post on Why We Recommend WordPress CMS Over Everything Else to know about all the WordPress features we find incredible.