What are <title> tags?
SEO title, meta title or page title. Known by many aliases, title tags are HTML elements that provide information about webpages to search engines and visitors of the website.
Title tags tell the search engines and the visitors about the content of the webpage, in the most concise and accurate manner possible. A title tag is placed under the <head> section of the source code of the webpage.
SEO title appears in the form of anchor text when sharing the content on other websites and social media channels, and in the title bar of the tab on your web browser.
It is most recognisable as a blue clickable link on search engine result pages (SERPs).
Title tags are vital to SEO
There is an endless stream of web content these days, with an influx of websites vying for attention from search engines and visitors alike.
The title tag is the ‘cream’ on top of your webpage content, as it helps attract visitors to your page, making your content appear in the search snippet.
Doesn’t it feel wonderful when the article or blogpost which you have written so lovingly, appears in the first page of the search results page of Google? Your SEO title sufficiently informs everyone about your content.
Get on top of search results!
8 tips to make your title tag look perfect!
I will provide you with some SEO techniques that you can follow to make search engines show your webpage in search snippets, in turn making your webpage rank better.
Each webpage of your website must have a separate title tag.
1. Search engine algorithms will be able to rank you higher, if they realise that your content is unique and of high quality.
Google’s Panda algorithm ensures on-site quality, and can down-rank your webpage, if it sniffs spammy content both on your title tag and the content of the page.
2. Search engine algorithms weigh/prioritise title tags from left to right, so the most important information or keyword should be positioned to the left.
In the advent that search engines truncate your title with an ellipses as penalty for there being too many characters in the title, the important words will still be protected.
Having focus keywords at the start of your title tag helps Google algorithms to better understand the topic of your content, leading to your webpage being ranked higher in search results.
3. Currently, Google usually displays only the first 70 characters of the title tag on its result pages. According to research online, Bing allows the use of title tags having up to 65 characters, before truncating the title tag with an ellipses. The ideal title tag length which you should adhere to, is between 60-65 characters.
Stay tuned to our blogpost to be updated regularly on the updated character limits set by Google algorithms. To stay informed about the Google algorithm change history, view this interesting post by Moz.
Avoid ALL CAP titles, as they might restrict the number of characters that can be included, by taking up more space than lowercase characters.
4. Optimize your SEO title by including the focus keyword(s) of your content. I would advice that there should be no more than two keywords in each title tag, with one of them being your focus keyword. You can also include long-tail keywords in your title tag, making it appear like a phrase.
5. Title tags help you to get higher ranking on search engines, as the title is considered to be an important on-page SEO factor. Search engine algorithm, like Google’s, understands variation of keywords, and hence the most important factor to keep in mind is to include keywords into your title tag.
Caution must be exercised to not stuff the title tags with keywords, as Google algorithm might then view the title as a spam.
6. Try to limit the use of stop words into your title. Stop words have no keyword value, and are composed of articles (a/an, the), prepositions (on, it, at , etc.), pronouns (me, mine, myself, she, her, etc.), conjunctions (and, for, but, etc.) and so on.
7. After looking through various search results on the first page of Google, Bing and Yahoo, I have always found the chosen first few title tags to have included numerals. The next time you are making a list post, make sure you include a numeral in your title.
8. Practice, practice and more practice makes every title tag perfectly clear and descriptive. Keep optimizing the title tag after writing the first copy, keeping in mind the above tips and tricks.
Pay heed to the importance of title tags, and don’t let the opportunity of writing a powerful title tag go to waste. Always feels good to get something extra, isn’t it?
Advanced security firewall, malware scanning, performance optimization, SEO/SEM services or design consulting. Pick any of them and add it to your WPCruiseControl plan!
What is also of significance is to stay informed about the updates of Google algorithms, so that you can upgrade your SEO techniques accordingly.
Google algorithms assess content quality to down rank websites that have thin, inadequate and plagiarised content. A title tag is an important factor in determining if the visitors click the website, even if the website ranks well in search results, making the SEO title a make-or-break factor in click-throughs.
Do extensive research on Google algorithms, if you are aiming for your webpage to feature at the top of Google search result. Read this blogpost by a Google employee, to ensure that your website remains in the good books of algorithms.
Follow us on Facebook, and do comment your suggestions or ideas down below!
For more information on SEO, read our blog post on Top 5 Websites For SEO Trends That You Shouldn’t Miss in 2017!